Monday, November 08, 2004

Edna Mode, Dahling!

Edna Mode, Dahling!

I thoroughly enjoyed the Incredibles, the new Pixar animation that opened last weekend, I saw it twice on the same day. Just like the rest of the Pixar creations, the movie has both great visuals and amazing story. This is the first time we get to see human characters play the lead roles, and they are absolutely fantastic and believable. One the characters that tickles me the most is Edna Mode, the 3'8" superhero fashion consultant. (Brilliantly voiced by the director, Brad Bird himself!) There is a list of names out there that most critics suggest the character was based upon. The most mentioned is Hollywood's legendary costume designer, Edith Head. (Left) However, I think Edna reminds me of the fashion editor, Regina Krumm, in Pret-a-Porte , played by Linda Hunt. (Right) And I'm sure those over-sized glasses are from the late fashionista Carrie Donovan. Who else, Dahling. Edna's character is further enhanced by her fabulous mid-century modern inspired futuristic home that's filled with sleek minimal furniture. I wonder how she cooks, since she's shorter than her kitchen counter top.

No comments: